How to activate Windows 10: A Step by Step Guide
Most of the mainstream computing machines come with Windows 10 OS preinstalled. However, in case you have updated your laptop for optimized performance or have built your custom PC for gaming, you might intend to install and activate Windows 10.
Activation of the Windows 10 OS can be done by either by digital license or activating the product key. In case if you hace already activated the Windows 10 license linked to your Microsoft account, the digital license can be used to activation purpose.
Following are are steps to activate Windows 10 OS, either by digital license or by product key.
Steps to activate Windows 10 via product key
- First of all, make sure to enter the product license key for the installation of Windows 10
- Head over to the Activation option by following the given sequence
Windows key>Settings > Update and Security > Activation
- Now select the option called- Change Product key.
- The pop-up box will appear on your computer screen.
- Now all you need to enter the product key and then select Next>Activate
Steps to activate Windows 10 via digital license
- Before opting for activation, choose the option – ‘I don’t have a product key’
- Setup and complete the login formalities to Windows 10 with your linked Microsoft account.
Windows 10 shall be activated at this point, In case you had made some changes in the hardware then follow the given instructions:
- Press the Windows key and head over to the Activation option by following the given sequence
Settings > Update and Security > Activation
- If your OS is not activated, start troubleshooting the system via ‘Troubleshoot’ option. Note: You can use the search bar to find the such option.
- A new window shall prompt on your screen. Select ‘Activate Windows’>Activate. Note: You can also select the option- ‘ I changed hardware on this device recently’, if applicable.
- If sign-in window prompt on your screen, enter the detail of your Microsoft account linked to the digital license.
- Select the device by checking the box aligned before the option – ‘This is the device I’m using right now’
- Lastly, select the ‘Activate’ option